The Weekly Poker Mantra

Often funny - Sometimes strange - Sometimes inspiring. Check in every Monday for The Weekly Poker Mantra.

Monday, March 22, 2010

5. Bankroll Management, Fluctuations and Breaking the Rules

Hello Micro Crushers,

Current Challenge Bankroll: $9.07  Holy Blowfish!

Well, I'm still struggling with the challenge trying to grind myself up to the next level.  I am being super conservative with my bankroll management at this stage so any progress is expected to be slow.  It would be really unpleasant to go broke with this challenge so I'm building up from zero very very patiently.  For now I am sticking with the 12 cent buy-in single table tournaments and enjoying success when I play a disciplined game and pay attention to the betting patterns of the other players.

 In this low limit tournament arena I really think it's best to stick to a basic strategy and not try anything too fancy.  The players at this level will make mistakes.  When I play too loose too early in these tournaments it sets me up for trouble because most of these guys don't know how to fold.  If you're going to break some basic strategy rules and start raising in position with any two, be sure that you know your opponent is smart enough to fold when he or she should.

Because discipline isn't always the easiest thing in the world it's easy to say "oh it's only twelve cents" and just open shove with any decent hand.  I know when I'm playing bad sometimes but continue to do so due to boredom.  Don't be like me!  Don't trap yourself with too many raises and thoughtless aggression.  Aggression is good, but only when you're in control of yourself and your table.


Good luck at the table guys and dolls.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Job on the BR.
    I'm playing mostly SNG .10 buy in 360 players on PS.Big grind.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you 5oh. Yes PStars offers fantastic tournaments. It is clear that this challenge will test my patience... I never want to go down to this level again... :-)

    ReplyDelete